Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seasoning

What if God's love for us wasn't deep?
What if God didn't offer grace or mercy?
What if Jesus didn't come to live the life we're called to and die the death we deserve?
Maybe a picture of things that might be said if God wasn't these things:
(While this doesn't all fit musically, this is intended to be the opposite of "How Deep thee Father's Love")

How apathetic the Father's love for us
It's selfish like a child
He closed His door and left us out
In our wretched shame and sorrow
How great our pain and loneliness
We bear sin alone
My wounds will fester all my life
And be that which defines me

I am the man upon my cross
My sin is on my shoulders
Condemning yells are all I hear
From Satan, myself, and others
It's my own sin that holds me here
Justice never fully accomplished
Each painful breath will bring more death
Forever and forever

I will boast in anything
That gives me worth and meaning
So that I may numb the pain
Of emptiness and longing
Congratulate me for how I make
My life look so together
But deep inside I'll always know
I'm empty, undone, and broken


Thankfully, God is merciful, has deep love, etc. so we can and do sing truths like:
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that helf Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast inJesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments: